Second Baptist Church, SW
 
 
In May 1925, the charter members of Second Baptist Church, Southwest (SW) organized themselves as a mission congregation, originally named Richard’s Mission, under the leadership of the late Rev. John R. Richards. On June 10, 1925, a council was called at the Friendship Baptist Church, First and H Streets, SW Washington, D.C., where the church was officially set aside as Second Baptist Church, Southwest. Through the securing of two personal loans, Second Baptist Church, SW was able to purchase their first permanent home at Second and N Streets, SW. In April 1932, Pastor Richards informed the church of his failing health and recommended that he be succeeded by Rev. Walter A. Gray. The members accepted the recommendation and on May 8, 1932, Rev. Gray became the pastor and served for 7 years.
 
In April 1940, Rev. Jesse A. Brown was called as pastor. At that time, the church had an active membership of 18 and a $27,000 debt. Under the leadership of Pastor Brown, the membership increased which enabled the liquidation of debts. Within 12 years, the church purchased adjacent property and also completed improvements on the church building. An agreement was reached by the congregation to sell the N Street property and buy land owned by the National Capitol Housing Authority at First and M Streets, SW. On September 30, 1955, the Ground-Breaking Ceremony was held for the construction of a new sanctuary at First and M Streets, SW. The first services in the new sanctuary were held on Sunday, December 15, 1957. Pastor Brown served faithfully until his death on December 14, 1966.
 
In August 1968, Rev. John A. Franklin was called to be the pastor. Under Pastor Franklin’s leadership, the Christian Education program was organized, weekly attendance increased, and improvements were made to the church building. The church continued to grow under Pastor Franklin until his death on June 17, 1973.
 
On May 3, 1974, Rev. H. Joseph Franklin was called to serve as pastor. Immediately after Pastor Franklin assumed the pastorate, a new era began which led to the continued growth of the church. During his 25 years of pastoral service, the church membership increased which led to the addition of an 8:00 a.m. Sunday morning worship service. On November 4, 1979, the Mortgage Burning Service was held. Several new ministries were added including the Missionary Ministry, Golden Agers Fellowship, Scholarship Ministry, Substance Abuse Counselors, Marriage Ministry, Liturgical Dance Ministry and the Youth Ministry. On December 31, 2008, Pastor Franklin retired from the pastorate and was esteemed as Pastor Emeritus until his death.
 
Reverend C.L. Brown was installed as pastor in January 2011. Under his leadership, the church purchased and moved into his current home at 5501 Silver Hill Road, District Heights, Maryland which afforded the church expanded seating capacity, administrative offices, and ministry space.
 
Following Reverend Brown’s departure, Rev. Dr. Alvin W. Dockett, a dynamic preacher and teacher was called to Pastor on July 7, 2014.  Under Dr. Dockett’s tenure, the Discipleship Institute was established to focus on sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ, bridging generations, and reaching globally.  He also assisted in the established the Helping Hands Food Pantry to serve the needy in District Heights, Maryland and the surrounding Prince Georges County communities.  In April 2017, Dr. Dockett resigned to begin a new ministry.
 
 
On Saturday, July 8, 2017, a ballot vote was held for the position of Pastor. Deacon Wallace Harris presented the results. Of those voting, one hundred percent voted to accept Rev. Dr. Wallis C. Baxter, III as our next Senior Pastor.